Monday, April 6, 2015

Seeing in a Whole New Way

First of the series taken on Ash Wednesday
Scanning through my Facebook feed shortly before Ash Wednesday I saw a post of a friend telling about choosing to give up color for Lent and inviting her into this journey with her by posting our own black and white photo each day. The idea intrigued me and I was still not sure what my practice for Lent was to be so I decided to join in. However, I did not have guide or plan for this, it was something that would be figured out as I moved deeper into Lent. What began as my interpretation of giving up something quickly began to transform into a deep spiritual practice. Just like other spiritual practices, this one had much to teach me. Now that Easter Sunday has passed, we have celebrated the resurrection and entered out of the darkness and back into the light of Easter season, it seems appropriate to ruminate a bit here on my experience and lessons learned.

First off, I am a planner to the nth degree; so entering into something that is with out specific instructions and without a formed plan is very uncomfortable for me. I found myself setting boundaries. The picture can’t be just anything and it must be something that has some type of deep connection to the Lent journey. I must not just post the picture, but must reflect on it a bit. These “rules” were helpful for me, until life happened in the midst of Lent. I found myself caught up in the actives of the day and rushing at the end to get something/anything up. Sometimes I had a great picture but was so tired I just could not get the reflection out. The “rules” got forgotten some days and even once I did not get a picture up. My first lesson of this practice was grace and that even when I did not follow my “rules” exactly the intention of the practice was there undergirding my engagement of it. Looking back now some of my favorites of the series of photos were the ones taken in the midst of life happening.


Second, it was a lesson in perseverance and the importance of community. About half way through, I was tired, really tired of remembering to take the photo and finding the words to write. I really wanted to just get to Easter and that last picture that would finally be in color. There were moments where I truly thought about giving it up, but instead pushed forward letting the intention of the journey carry me forward.  In this time it was the comments and likes of my posted photos that kept me engaging the practice. It was not only just me on this journey, but those who were seeing anew through my practice. Sharing my practice so publicly gave it new meaning for me, particularly when I myself felt I was just slogging through.  I am grateful for the encouragement of my Facebook community that came one like at a time.


Lastly, one cannot really fully give up color unless you are unable to see in color. Color surrounds our daily life. But looking at pieces of my life through a black and white photo with all the color striped away, I found myself seeing to the heart of the photo. I saw my family in a new way and in a deeper way; I saw to the center and deep heart of love.  Without color to distract my soul I saw in a new way and connected to my life in a much deeper way. I discovered that black and white is color. It is the color of seeing past the surface and into the depth of what is truly happening in that moment in time.


My Holy week took on a completely different meaning as I prayed each picture I took. I found myself savoring each day of the week with a slow pace to Easter instead of the rushing push to get to the happy part.



I have seen Lent and Holy Week in a wholly different way and with it came seeing my world with new eyes and at a deeper level. Because of this way of engaging my journey to Easter, the Easter colors became so much more vibrant, celebratory and meaning filled. For that and so much more I am giving thanks.
Easter Sunrise

No comments:

Post a Comment