Friday, May 6, 2016

Mother's Day - Not Aways so Easy

Mother’s Day is just a short few days away.  While growing up it meant sending cards to the various important women in my life, making sure I did something special for mom and I never thinking much more about it. And it went on that way until the two years my husband and I were trying to get pregnant with our oldest. Sitting in church with all the mothers with their corsages and mentions of how mothers are important was painful to my soul that wanted so badly to be a mother. A deeper awareness of how painful this day can be came when our second child Hope died and I became even more aware of how Mother’s Day can be sweet with loving attention from one child while also deeply sad with memories of the child who died.

Living with this tension has made me very aware of how there are so many who struggle with this day. As the TV is filled with commercials reminding us to get mom the perfect gift, do something special, be sure you make the day all about mom I can’t help but think of moms who arms are empty due to the death of a baby, older child or loss of a pregnancy; women who are struggling with infertility; mother-child relationship that are strained or estranged; those who’s mothers have died and they are left grieving and even fathers who are raising kids all on their own. I think of women who have chosen not have their own children but are very involved as mother figures in other kids lives, I have a couple of women in my own life who have been like mothers that are very special. It’s not always an easy day. And is a day where I try to walk through it with an extra measure of grace, kindness and gentleness.

Every mother’s day since I have been on Facebook I try to post something acknowledging this tension and the mixed feelings that mother’s day brings. I like to remind us that it is ok to not feel all warm and fuzzy and to have the need just to survive the day. Because after all it is just one day and with tomorrow there is the promise of a new day.

But today I want to give some words of wisdom for accompanying mothers who are grieving children on this day, both children who have died and also the hopes of children that have not come due to infertility. Please do not be afraid of our tears. Please do not be afraid of acknowledging this day with us and that it may make us cry. There is a lot that makes us cry. Most every day has something that makes us remember our little ones. It is part of life for us we learn to live with it and feel blessed by those who choose to journey beside us fearlessly.

If you know our child/children’s names please feel free to speak them to us. It helps us know that others are remembering them too. Let us know that you are thinking of us in some way, help us not feel so alone, because as time goes on this journey can get lonely. And remember each one of us experiences this a bit differently, if you are unsure of how to help us survive the day, ask us and just be there.


So as we move towards Mother’s Day on Sunday I invite you to join me in an extra measure of grace and gentleness, to have a measure of awareness for those who may be hurting or grieving just a bit more, and know that we are in this together.


No comments:

Post a Comment