Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Finding Advent in the Stopping

It is Sunday morning as I write this. Snow, Ice and severely sub-zero temperatures have effectively brought our family to a steadily slowing halt. In the interest of safety our church decided to cancel services and so I have found myself with a rare day of unplanned freedom from obligations.  As I looked out on the snowy back yard after a morning of pajamas and family snuggles the following poured out of my heart.


Go, Do, Prepare.
Shop, Sing, Bake.
Plan, Wrap, Decorate.

It seems the to do list has lost its priorities.
Where is…
                        Slow down, listen, be present.
                        Marvel, simplify, wonder.

                        Breathe in, breath out, prepare heart.

It’s Sunday and the snow came
And the temperature plummeted.
Safety was considered.
No church to attend this morning.

But wait….Church was attended
Only in a wholly different way.
By staying home, slowing down, snuggling with those dearest.
Worshiping at the dinning table around our Advent wreath.

Today Holy preparation was found.
In the stopping and just being.
In the permissive space of nothing to do,
But just be.

Never before have I felt so clearly
Advent Peace, Hope, Love, Joy.

Now I feel prepared…
to welcome your Child, Jesus to this earth once again.


Thank you and Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Given how crazy the Home Care side of our Home Care/Hospice office was this morning I emailed this to our staff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Norman, I am happy that you were able to use this in your ministry and that it's blessings are being spread.

      Delete