Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Sister's Forever: a child's grief


October is Pregnancy and Infant Loss Awareness Month and with it comes stories from mothers and fathers who have been touched by this type of grief.  We hear from clergy who speak up to remind the faithful that we can do better in supporting families affected by this type of death, loss and grief.  There is still yet another voice in this conversation that seems to get overlooked in the rush to support mothers and fathers.  It is the voice of the siblings. This is something I am more attentive to because I am a bereaved mother who is parenting a bereaved sibling.  Because of my experience navigating this path I find myself drawn to bringing awareness to this aspect of family grief associated with pregnancy and infant loss.

When supporting children as they grieve, it is important to remember their experience is as unique as they are.  What we know about children’s grief is a guide and we must take into consideration the child’s own emotional and intellectual maturity.  Alongside this, it is important to equip parents so that they may help their children grieve. Clergy can be a helpful partner to parents in this process.

It has been little over 5 years since our Hope died.  Our oldest was not quite three when Hope died. People told me that CJ would not remember. That she was too little. I know those words were meant to comfort me. They were spoken to lessen my grief stricken anxiety over how I would help her grieve the death of her little brother or sister while in the midst of my own grief.  However, they were wrong, CJ does remember, she remembers quite a lot. CJ still will sometimes talk about that week after Hope’s death, remembering me being so sad and Grammie and Grandpa telling her I just needed some time alone.  She remembers coming into my room and seeing me crying.  As CJ has gotten older, some of the details may be fuzzy, but there is one detail that is very clear for her.  There is a little brother or sister missing from her life. For my compassionate and nurturing daughter who looked forward to being a big sister, this is her forever grief.

I looked for resources for parents and children related to sibling grief specific to early pregnancy loss. I found very little, in fact I was able to find only one children’s book that I felt was applicable.  My husband and I found ourselves navigating our daughter’s unique grief without a map or compass.  Instead I find myself relying on my knowledge of general children’s grief and my skills as a chaplain to translate that to CJ’s unique grief. You may notice that I speak in the present tense. That is intentional because the first thing I learned was that her grief grows with her.  With each emotional milestone and greater maturity she asks more questions about what happened to Hope and why she died. With this comes another season of grief at her new level of understanding.

To be brutally honest, this is hard!  I have to go back into the depths of her grief, over and over again. I have to engage hard questions about what happened.  I have to remember honestly how I felt and share that, because CJ wants to know the truth. And my truth helps her know what ever she is feeling is ok. It’s hard because her need for this conversation never comes at a convenient time. And honestly sometimes I just don’t want to do this again. But I value her need for a healthy grief process so I will do it over and over again. I will do this because it means Hope is important enough to CJ and our family to keep remembering Hope.

Time has taught us that we need to give CJ concrete ways to express her grief and create ways for her to memorialize Hope for each new re-grieving she goes through.  Building our back yard labyrinth, dedicated as Hope’s Labyrinth, the year after Hope died was a good start.  Now CJ wants to write a book about her experience being Hope’s sister and how she feels about Hope dying.  Part of this may just be her wanting to be like mommy and write a book, but I am confident that it is also part of her own process of maturing grief. Knowing the benefits of writing one’s story, I will help her write hers.

Hope’s importance to CJ is often seen in her desire to share about Hope with others.  This usually happens when something around her reminds her of Hope or if someone else is talking about siblings. When she shares I feel the palpable discomfort of the person. And I cringe just a little, but I don’t shut CJ down, instead I honor her need to share about her sister (CJ has imagined Hope to be a girl). If CJ talks about Hope with you, I all I would ask is that you simply say you’re sorry Hope died and listen with caring.  All CJ really wants is an acknowledgment that she is recognized as a sister.

CJ got to see Hope on the sonogram three days before Hope died.  Because of this CJ started to form her identity as a sister. It is the loss of active sister roll that she grieves more than anything.  The loss of a role is a difficult thing to grieve as adults – let alone for a kid. So she and I spend a lot of time talking about how she misses being a sister. I find myself reminding her she is still Hope’s sister, just like I am still Hope’s mom. We also spend a lot of time talking about how our small church family is also part of our family. We explore the opportunities she has to be a good role model and like a big sister to the younger children at church.  She has a deep need to nurture, and it is a challenge to find ways to fulfill that need. People have suggested pets, and we had a fish for a while, it helped – until it died. She keeps asking for a dog.  We know one is most likely in our future in hopes that will help with her need to nurture others. We are still trying to figure out this aspect of her grief journey and it is only time that will give the healing being sought.

We quickly learned to be attentive to situations that would remind CJ of Hope.  For her the big one is the start of school each year as she sees older kids dropping off their younger brothers and sisters.  We found it helpful to engage the knowledge and support of her school social worker. We also realized it was good for CJ to have a safe place other than us to talk about Hope.  It gives us the room we need to breath and regroup. Now with three years of starts of school under our collective belts, we know we need to have the reminder conversation with her about how the start of school reminds her of Hope.  We help her remember her coping plan for the first week of school.  We also know that once CJ gets through that first week, the grief will once again lessen.

Our journey has taught me that just like my own personal grief, CJ’s grief will take its own course and have its own timeline. In my uncertainty as a parent I must trust in God’s grace and believe that her healing is coming from our compassionate listening and space giving to her grief.  

Now it is time for us all to learn from her young voice. It is time to remember that the sisters and brothers grieve too.


(A parental note: CJ’s story is shared with her permission.  Her grace in letting me share her part in our family grief is greatly appreciated.)

No comments:

Post a Comment