Friday, August 5, 2016

As You Walked Away

The month of August I am going to be sharing with you my poetic reflections that came from my Sabbath time “unplugged.”  My soul burst forth blessing me with words that had been silent and missed for too long. I am sharing these words in hopes that at least some of them will bless you as the writing of them blessed me.

This first reflection comes from my experience watching my daughter walk away and join a group of boys at the youth activities on board ship. She walked away with out a backward glance or a good bye.  It was the first time she walked away into a group of boys.  She is not quite 9 and I know it was completely innocent kid friendship, but all my momma’s heart could see was those two boys with her in between them and her completely oblivious to her mom in the background.  My heart was not ready.


AS YOU WALKED AWAY

You have been my little girl for oh so long.
But today I saw a confident young lady 
beginning to blossom.

My Momma’s heart expands with pride and
constricts with a bit of panic at the same time.

I’m so not ready for this!
This next phase of your life.

But for now you are still in this place of in between
Not quite a little girl
But not fully a young lady.

You still will snuggle with me in public,
And be silly
Without a thought.

I’ll cherish this time for I know it will not last for long.

I know this because I watched you tonight walk away from me
And join that group of boys.

And as you did,
I saw you grow up just a bit more
Right before my eyes.
I barely even blinked.

I left quietly with a deep breath realizing
I’ll witness this moment of growing up
Right before my eyes
AGAIN and AGAIN.

And each time it will be hard.
And I will not be ready for it.

But I will gently blow my love and encouragement
like the wind,
Lifting your wings to help you soar.

Because as your Momma 
that is what my love for you calls me to do.

I Love You!

No comments:

Post a Comment