Thursday, October 27, 2016

I forgot

How quickly I forget God,
Forget that you speak in so many ways.

I have gotten so used to hearing you in that still quiet whisper.
The one that comes in the stillness of my heart.

I forgot that you also use the voices of your children on this earth.
I really should not have forgotten,
But in my desperate seeking of your guidance
I forgot to look outside that quiet place in my heart to the wisdom of others.

Today I almost walked past that office.
But instead turned around and stopped to say hi.
The conversation began with an invitation to ME,
An opportunity to share my questioning.
Your wisdom was given,
Through the voice of the person I intended to give care to.

Today I heard you speak.
I remembered you speak in many different ways.

I remembered that as I walk the halls of ministry -
In the midst of my own stuff at times.
The ministry encounter may not be for me to be the one giving
But instead for me to be the one receiving.

It is in this space of both/and
That I heard your call to me…
To remember,
To remember to listen for your voice in all things and from unexpected places.

I hope to not forget again.





No comments:

Post a Comment