Thursday, November 17, 2016

A Litany of Thanksgiving

The month of November I try to be very intentional about embracing an exercise in looking for and recording those things for which I am thankful.  This year, engaging this spiritual practice has been most important to my soul's health and wholeness.  There is something about engaging a practice of listing thanksgivings that helps me to stay grounded in spiritual concepts that are important to me such as: hope, grace, love, peace, kindness. The practice serves as a reminder to me that there are good and wonderful things around me and it serves to remind me of God's good works in this world.

This year I included not only using words, but also finding or creating images that reflect my thanksgivings. In doing this I noticed a very spiritual and contemplative focus to my thanksgivings this year. They seemed to come together as a kind of litany. 

This is my last post for the month of November. I am going to take next week or so off and spend some time being less busy and more thankful with those closest to me.  I will be back in December. So as I prepare to take this pause, it seems fitting for me to leave my thankful litany here for you to engage in with me. I also would like to invite you, as we head into these days leading up to the celebration of Thanksgiving, to create your own litany of thanks giving. 


Painted sky displaying the grandeur of God's beauty


For this I am thankful.
Early dawn's light, quiet spaces and rituals that help me enter the day with peace and calm
For them I am thankful.
Books that take me deeper into the heart of the theology and spirituality that feeds my soul and simple tools of pen and journal where my own thoughts can reside
For these things I am thankful.
A faith family that is truly family, worship that feeds the soul, and the offering of our creativity
For these things I am thankful.
The sun that rises and sets, shining clear, bright light reminding me that light still shines and there is always hope
For this I am thankful.

Music that calls to and soothes the soul. Music that heals and restores


For this I am thankful

Moments of creativity
For these I am thankful.
Color bursting, the beauty of God's creation shining
For this I am thankful.
Wind that blows gently, bringing with it a soft rustling. Brushing my face and my soul. Reminding me of the Holy Spirit that flows and blows through us and the world


For this I am thankful.












No comments:

Post a Comment