Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Savoring

I recently started reading Barbra Brown Taylor's book An Alter in the World.  I really do love her books and her writing. It is like a drink of cool water to my soul.  They are also books that I can spend months with. Not because they are hard to read, but because I want to take my time and journey leisurely through the words.  The following is a reflection of what it is like for me to read her words.

                                                                   A nibble at a time,
                                                                  stopping to savor the words.

No need to rush to the end,
to finish so quickly.

These words, they nourish my soul.
It makes it easy to slow down the pace.
Taking tiny bites 
to make the journey with these words last longer.

And yet, my soul loves them so much
It wants to gorge on them.
To fill until uncomfortably full.

But the pace of being mom
doing work
engaging life
does not allow for the gorging.

                                                                  And for now, this is good
                                                                          this forced slowing.
                                                                              It allows for the experience,
                                                                         the savoring of 
                                                                         and enjoying of 
                                                                         each small bite
                                                                           that the pace of 
                                                                        everyday life allows for.





No comments:

Post a Comment