Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Lost and Found

Monday I took my daughter to see the movie "Christopher Robin." It is an excellent movie, I recommend you see it. As I was watching the movie, I realized that this is a movie for adults.  Not because of content inappropriate for young eyes and ears, but because as busy, super focused adults we need the message Christopher Robin learns. I have spent the last couple of days thinking about how I might begin to remember for myself who I was as a child. I have been contemplating what does it really mean to play, not just the way I may play as an adult, but child like, innocent, creative play.  You know the kind that you can in no way take yourself too seriously to engage in. Well, I think I shall just stop the reflective questions right here, because I do not want to ruin the movie for you.  Instead I will leave you with the words of this poem inspired by the message I took from the movie.




Lost and Found
Somewhere along the way
I lost myself.

I let the busy of life,
the pressure to succeed,
the expectations of others
take over.

In doing so I forgot the important things:
     Play
     Silence
     Compassion
     Connection
     Being true to myself.

Memories of a self long forgotten
tapped me on the shoulder,
saying
Remember us?
Remember you?

And in the moment
my true self is once again
remembered.

I remembered the happiness
that is found in the
honoring of who you truly are.

And I stopped to
    Re-imagine myself
    Let go of that which is not me.

I took a deep breath
Stepped onto a new path
to begin to find myself again.

This time moving into the
life journey
more fully me
than I have ever been before.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joy, I enjoyed the movie, too, and its thoughtful messages. Thank you for your lovely poem that encourages me to remember the "important things."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so very welcome Twyla. Always good to “see” you here.

      Delete