Thursday, December 31, 2015

Resolutions From A Season of Being Present

         

            If you are a regular follower of Chaplainhood you may have noticed a change in the content over the month of December and a noticeable lack of my more narrative and reflective posts. This was not intentional, but rather the result of a practice I started in November that carried on through December. Now that December closing and the eve of the New Year is upon us, I have decided it time to put my reflections into words.
            With November came the annual posts on Facebook of daily posts regarding what people were thankful for. I love the idea of giving intentional thanks and encourage people to engage in the practice in whatever form works for them. This year I felt called to a slightly different practice of thanksgiving recognition. I did not want to just post words about what I was thankful for, but instead wanted to practice being fully present to what I was thankful for. This meant a change in behavior. Not an easy thing to do, since I had become tethered to my phone and the Facebook app had become a very bad habit of distraction. I had to really work to remember to put the phone down and not worry about recording every “cool” and meaningful moment for posterity, but rather to just experience the moment. To help with this, I did the unthinkable; I took the Facebook app off the phone and gave myself a time limit of no more than 10 minutes to check in on the necessities. November was hit and miss and it really was not until the start of Advent I finally felt I was being fully present to the experiences of my life.
            The first time I felt like I was really getting being present was over Thanksgiving spent at my parent’s house. We all went to a park so that my daughter could get outside and run off some energy. I LEFT THE PHONE IN THE CAR! And I played, I had so much fun climbing and running and spinning with C on the equipment and did not care how silly I looked. Then my dad and I took a walk. While walking and talking a huge flock of geese took off no more than 20 feet in front of us. I marveled at getting to watch the aerial dance of each goose finding his or her place in the formation. I was fully present to the wonder of this and feel I experienced more of God’s creation in that moment than I did for months previously.
            I felt more alive and at peace than I had for a while, so I extended the practice through Advent. I chose carefully what I did and did not want to participate in. I found ways to simplify the crazy rush of the Christmas season. I spent time in deep prayer and devotion and reflective writing. On my day off I took walks; nice long, cold morning walks. I reveled in the simple beauty that I saw on the way. Frost on brown plants, the nub of a pinecone remnant in a pine tree, a lone marigold hanging on, all were noticed in new, fresh ways. I gave myself permission to slow down and reprioritize the “to do” list. I gave myself permission to write different and more creative pieces for Chaplainhood. I gave myself permission to step back a bit and care for myself.
            The result is my soul has begun to bloom again and find energy. I am really noticing the little things around me that I previously would miss. I feel happier and more connected to my family. I am finding time to do things for myself. And I am beginning to feel creative once more. I am becoming more patient and less cranky (my daughter really appreciates this one.)
            As I prepare to enter a New Year, I am doing something different once more. I am actually making some New Year’s resolutions. I resolve to continue to put the phone and technology down and continue being fully present to my family and myself. I am going to continue to work on keeping a slower pace. And I am going to give myself permission to realize that I will not keep any of these on a regular basis and will need to take remedial action to regain what I learned in the last two months. I am hopeful that because the resolutions are not really new, but rather an extension of current practices that this year I might actually be successful in keeping these. 
            As we move into the preparing for a new year, what moments of grace are you being led to extend to yourself as 2016 starts? How might you find a practice to help you regain what ever it is that you may have lost touch with?


May you find deep blessing as we journey together into 2016.       

2 comments:

  1. What a lovely reflection, and it sparks something I've been meaning to write about, too. Welcome to RevGals (soon!)

    ReplyDelete