Monday, October 2, 2017

A Lament for Loss of Connectedness

When did we loose our connection to each other?
When did we stop truly seeing each other?
When did we forget that our collective success as a human race is dependent on our connectedness?

When did it become ok to pass by suffering and say thank God it's not me?
When did it become ok to turn a blind eye to the person in crisis because it's not my business?
When did it become ok to isolate ourselves so completely that we forget we all are connected?

My heart cries out these questions tonight as I listen to the latest news.
Yes I see acts of heroism lifted up, lines of people to give blood,
Yes I see connectedness in this time and space

BUT

Why does it take an act of such violence to bring us together?
                      To remind us of our connectedness.
Why can't we seem to live connectedly on a daily basis?
Not just with those we are comfortable with or when it is convenient for us,
But with all who walk this home we call earth:
                       Even if it is not comfortable or convenient.

If we were to live connectedly on daily basis - would that end the violence?
Would that help us to once again begin to thrive and not just survive?
Is it possible - I hope so.



1 comment: